A People-to-People exploration of Cuba
with a Botanical Slant!
November 6-16, 2015
November 20-30, 2015
March 4-14, 2016
Dear Friends of Pacific Horticulture:
We invite you to come with us when we return to Cuba in 2015. The Pacific Horticulture Society has received its License from the U.S. Treasury Department to take friends and members of the Society on a People-to-People exploration of Cuba.
On this unique and inspiring program, we begin our tour in Old Havana and continue to Zapata National Park, the Escambray Mountains, and the Spanish colonial cities of Cienfuegos and Trinidad. Havana’s old town is rich with culture, music, museums, architecture, and more. We will explore Cuba’s diverse landscapes, including the plains or llanos, ideal for growing sugar cane, mountain regions, and coastal wetlands.
The Cuban natural world is reflected in their national symbols: Roystonea regia, the royal palm with its swollen upper trunk; the white mariposa, a species of jasmine and the national flower; and the national bird, the tocororo, with blue, red, and white colors which match the national flag. Cuba is also home to the world’s smallest bird, the bee hummingbird, and a profusion of native orchids and palms.
As we travel around this beautiful island, we will meet with Cuban naturalists, botanists, scientists, and local experts. Throughout our journey, we will engage Cubans directly in discussions about their lives and work, culture and traditions.
- Explore the UNESC
O World Heritage sites of Old Havana and Trinidad.
- Spend time in the Spanish colonial city of Cienfuegos.
- Visit several botanic gardens and see their amazing plant collections.
- Explore the mountain station at Topes de Collantes.
- See the extraordinary plant life in the Sierra de Escambray.
- Learn about Las Terrazas reforestation project.
- See the orchid collections at the Orquideario Soroa.
- Visit Vivero Alamar, an impressive project for sustainable agriculture.
- Observe the plants and wildlife of Zapata National Park, Cuba’s largest wetland.
We hope you will join us for this fascinating tour of Cuba.
For the Pacific Horticulture Society
$3,995 Plus Air
November 6-16, 2015 Brochure (Requires an Adobe pdf reader to view)
November 20-30, 2015 Brochure (Requires an Adobe pdf reader to view)
March 4-14, 2016 Brochure (Requires an Adobe pdf reader to view)